Areas of Teaching Interest
Communication Systems, Spread Spectrum Communications, Positioning Systems, Healthcare Communication
Areas of Research Interest
Wireless Sensing and Location Technologies, Human Activity Data Collection and Supporting Mobile Applications.
Ph.D., Tampere University of Technology. 1997.
- D. Inupakutika, G. Rodriguez, D. Akopian, P. Lama, P. Chalela, and A. G. Ramirez, “Performance Modeling and Analysis of a Cross Platform mHealth Application Leveraging Cloud Technology”, submitted to IEEE Trans. on Services Computing, 2020
- J. Morales, G. Rodriguez, G. Huang, D. Akopian, “UAV Control Via Cellular Networks: Delay Profiles, Delay Modelling, and a Case Study Within the 5-Miles Range,” IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, accepted, 2020
- D. Inupakutika, S. Kaghyan, D. Akopian, P. Chalela, and A. G. Ramirez, “A Fast Prototyping Approach for Cross-Platform mHealth Applications: A Case Study for Endocrine Hormonal Therapy Adherence,” accepted, Elsevier Journal on Biomedical Informatics, 2020
- E. Schmidt, N. Gatsis, and D. Akopian, “A GPS high-resolution authentication technique based on LASSO” accepted to IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, 2020
- J. Lee, A.F. Taha, N. Gatsis, D. Akopian, “Tuning-Free, Low Memory Robust Estimator to Mitigate GPS Spoofing Attacks,” IEEE Control Systems Letters, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 145-150, 2020
- J. Morales, D. Inupakutika, S. Kaghyan, D. Akopian, Y. Zenong, M. Evans, D. Parra-Medina, “Technology-based health promotion: Current state and perspectives in emerging gig economy”, Biocybernetics and Biomedical Engineering, Volume 39, Issue 3, 2019, Pages 825-842, ISSN 0208-5216, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbe.2019.07.006 .
- E. Schmidt, D. Inupakutika, R. Mundlamuri, and D. Akopian, “SDR-Fi: Deep Learning Based Indoor Positioning via Software-defined Radio,” IEEE Access, Vol. 7, No.1, pp 145784- 145797, 2019.
- G. Huang, B. K. Taylor, D. Akopian, “A Low-Cost Approach of Magnetic Field-Based Location Validation for Global Navigation Satellite Systems” IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 68, No.12, pp.4937-4944, 2019
- E. Schmidt, Z. Ruble, D. Akopian, D. J. Pack, “Software-Defined Radio GNSS Instrumentation for Spoofing Mitigation: A Review and a Case Study”, IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 68, No.8, pp. 2768-2784, 2019.
- A. Khalajmehrabadi, N. Gatsis, D. Pack, D. Akopian, “Hybrid Collaborative Least Squares Localization”, submitted to IET Radar, Sonar, Navigation, Nov 2018
- P. Chalela, E. Munoz, D. Inupakutika, S. Kaghyan, D. Akopian, V. Kaklamani, K. Lathrop, A. Ramirez, “Improving adherence to endocrine hormonal therapy among breast cancer patients: Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial,” Contemporary clinical trials communications, Elsevier, Vol.12, pp. 109-115, 2018
- E. Schmidt, M.A.Mohammed, D. Akopian, “A Performance Study of a Fast-Rate WLAN Fingerprint Measurement Collection Method”, IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 67, No 10, pp.2273-2281, 2018.
- E. Schmidt, D. Akopian, D. Pack, “Development of a Real-Time Software-Defined GPS Receiver in a LabVIEW-Based Instrumentation Environment”, IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 67, No 9, pp.2082-2096, 2018.
- A. Khalajmehrabadi, N. Gatsis, A. Taha, D. Akopian, “Real-Time Rejection and Mitigation of Time Synchronization Attacks on the Global Positioning System,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 65, No 8, pp.6425-6435, 2018
- A. Khalajmehrabadi, N. Gatsis, D. Akopian, “Modern WLAN fingerprinting indoor positioning methods and deployment challenges,” IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol. 19, No.3, pp.1974-2002, 2017.
- A. G. Ramirez, P. Chalela, D. Akopian, E. Munoz, K. Gallion, C. Despres, J. Morales, R. Escobar, A. Mcalister, “Text and mobile media smoking cessation service for young adults in South Texas: operation and cost-effectiveness estimation,” Health Promotion Practice, Vol. 18, No.4, 152483991770513 · April 2017. DOI: 10.1177/1524839917705130
- A. Khalajmehrabadi, N. Gatsis, D. Akopian, “Structured Group Sparsity: A Novel Indoor WLAN Localization, Outlier Detection, and Radio Map Interpolation Scheme,” IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 66, No 7, pp. 6498-6510, 2017. DOI: 10.1109/TVT.2016.2631980
- A. Khalajmehrabadi, N. Gatsis, D. Akopian, “A Joint Indoor WLAN Localization and Outlier Detection Scheme Using LASSO and Elastic-Net Optimization Techniques,” IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing, Vol. 1, No 8, pp.2079-2092, 2017, DOI: 10.1109/TMC.2016.2616465
- J. Morales, D. Akopian, “Physical activity recognition by smartphones, a survey,” Elsevier Biocybernetics and Biomedical Engineering Journal, Vol. 37, No.3, pp. 388-400, 2017.
- G. Huang, M.M. Miller, D.Akopian, “Inference of Network Delays for SUPL3.0 Assisted GNSS,” GPS Solutions, Vol. 21, No.2, pp.651-661. 2017