Student Grievances

UTSA students may need to pursue questions or concerns involving academic or nonacademic aspects of student life. The Student Ombudsperson assists students who are encountering challenges within the campus community by listening to concerns, providing and clarifying information, identifying and evaluating options, acting as a facilitator or mediator, serving as a referral agent, and making recommendations for change to enhance the mission of the University.

The Student Ombudsperson offers confidential assistance to students in a welcoming and safe environment and communicates with various representatives and offices to respond to and help resolve concerns in a timely and impartial manner.

The Student Ombudsperson is located in the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs in the Main Building, room 4.108 and may be reached at 210-458-4136.

A student grievance may involve a UTSA employee (faculty, staff or student-employee) or other students. A student with a grievance involving a University employee should first seek to resolve the issue with the employee. If the matter cannot be resolved with the employee, the grievance can be forwarded to the employee’s supervisor.

A student who believes another student has violated the Student Code of Conduct may file a complaint with the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

In conflict situations that do not require a criminal or student conduct response, or have not been resolved through regular grievance channels, it is recommended that students pursue resolution of their conflict with the Student Ombudsperson or with the Academic Affairs Ombudsperson for academic affairs employee related matters.



In resolving any student grievance regarding grades, evaluations or other academically-related concern or incident regarding a faculty member, the student must first make a serious effort to resolve the matter with the faculty member with whom the grievance originated. It is University policy that individual faculty members retain primary responsibility for assigning grades and evaluations. The faculty member’s judgment regarding grades and evaluations is final unless compelling evidence shows discrimination, differential treatment, factual mistake, or violation of a relevant University policy. In resolving a student grievance regarding other academically-related issues involving a faculty member, the student must follow the same process as used when grieving a grade or evaluation. If the matter is not resolved, the student may file a formal grievance, in writing, with the Department Chair. The student must file the grievance with the Department Chair within 90 calendar days from the end of the semester in which the grade was assigned or the other concern or incident occurred.

The Department Chair will communicate his or her decision to the student in and forward a copy to COE Associate Dean of  Research and Graduate Studies. The student may appeal the decision of the COE Associate Dean of Research and Graduate Studies to the UTSA Dean of Graduate Studies. Appeals to the next higher level must be submitted on the Student Academic and Grade Grievance Form and submitted within thirty (30) calendar days of the decision of the previous administrative level. The decision of the Dean of Graduate Studies is final. The administrator handling the appeal at each level will notify individuals involved, including those who have already ruled on the appeal, once a decision has been rendered.

Under no circumstances will grades be changed after one calendar year.

Academic and Grade Grievance Procedure

Academic and Grade Grievance Form