- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2020
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Tongji University, 2016
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Tongji University, 2013
Dr. Jiannan Cai’s research interests include (1) creating novel methods that couple sensing, computer vision, and machine learning to achieve holistic situational awareness of dynamic and unstructured construction site for automation in construction, and (2) creating effective algorithms to analyze heterogenous data for decision making in infrastructure management. Dr. Cai’s long-term goal is to integrate innovative technologies, infrastructure/construction domain knowledge, and human factors in support of constructing and managing next-generation civil infrastructure.
Specifically, her current area of research interests include
- Automation and Robotics in Construction
- Human-Robot Collaboration in Dynamic Workspaces
- Machine Learning and Computer Vision in Civil Infrastructure and Construction
- Cyber-Physical Systems in Civil Infrastructure and Building Systems
- Unmanned ground vehicles (UGVs) and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs)
- Public-Private Partnership for Infrastructure Investment
- CSM 4023 Construction Estimating II
- Reviewer for Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering; Journal of Construction Engineering and Management; Journal of Infrastructure Systems
Selected journal publications below. For complete list of publications, please visit Dr. Jiannan Cai’s Google Scholar Profile: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=C0q3K4YAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
Cai, J., Zhang, Y., Yang, L., Cai, H., & Li, S. (2020). A context-augmented deep learning approach for worker trajectory prediction on unstructured and dynamic construction sites. Advanced Engineering Informatics, 46, 101173.
Cai, J., & Cai, H. (2020). Robust Hybrid Approach of Vision-Based Tracking and Radio-Based Identification and Localization for 3D Tracking of Multiple Construction Workers. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 34(4), 04020021.
Cai, J., Jeon, J., Cai, H., & Li, S. (2020). Fusing Heterogeneous Information for Underground Utility Map Generation Based on Dempster-Shafer Theory. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 34(3), 04020013.
Cai, J., Zhang, Y., & Cai, H. (2019). Two-step long short-term memory method for identifying construction activities through positional and attentional cues. Automation in Construction, 106, 102886.
Cai, J., Li, S., & Cai, H. (2019). Empirical analysis of capital structure determinants in infrastructure projects under public–private partnerships. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 145(5), 04019032.
Cai, J., Gao, Q., Chun, H., Cai, H., & Nantung, T. (2019). Spatial autocorrelation in soil compaction and its impact on earthwork acceptance testing. Transportation Research Record, 2673(1), 332-342.
Li, S., Cai, J., Feng, Z., Xu, Y., & Cai, H. (2019). Government contracting with monopoly in infrastructure provision: Regulation or deregulation?. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 122, 506-523.