Communications and networking, smart grid planning, engineering optimization
Areas of Research Interest
Smart power grids, renewable energy management, wireless communications and networking, and cyber-physical systems, with focus on optimization methods and resource allocation
Ph.D., University of Minnesota, 2012
- E. Schmidt, N. Gatsis, and D. Akopian, “A GPS high-resolution authentication technique based on LASSO,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronics Systems, in press. Available: https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2020.2990149
- S. Wang, A. F. Taha, L. Sela, M. H. Giacomoni, and N. Gatsis, “A New Derivative-Free Linear Approximation for Solving the Network Water Flow Problem with Convergence Guarantees,” Water Resources Research, vol. 56, no. 3, e2019WR025694, Mar. 2020.
- S. Wang, A. F. Taha, N. Gatsis, and M. Giacomoni, “Receding Horizon Control for Drinking Water Networks: The Case for Geometric Programming,” IEEE Transactions on Control of Net- work Systems, in press. Available: https://doi.org/10.1109/TCNS.2020.2964139
- M. Jalali, V. Kekatos, N. Gatsis, and D. Deka, “Designing Reactive Power Control Rules for Smart Inverters Using Support Vector Machines,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 11, no. 2, Mar. 2020, pp. 1759–1770.
- J. Lee, A. F. Taha, N. Gatsis, and D. Akopian, “Tuning-Free, Low Memory Robust Estimator to Mitigate GPS Spoofing Attacks,” IEEE Control Systems Letters, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 145–150, Jan. 2020.
- M. Bazrafshan, N. Gatsis, and H. Zhu, “Optimal Power Flow with Step-Voltage Regulators in Multi-Phase Distribution Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 34, no. 6, Nov. 2019, pp. 4228–4239.
- A. F. Taha, M. Bazrafshan, S. Nugroho, N. Gatsis, and J. Qi, “Robust Control for Renewable- Integrated Power Networks Considering Input Bound Constraints and Worst-Case Uncertainty Measure,” IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 1210–1222, Sept. 2019.
- S. Nugroho, A. Taha, N. Gatsis, T. Summers, and R. Krishnan, “Algorithms for Joint Sensor and Control Nodes Selection in Dynamic Networks,” Automatica, vol. 106, pp. 124–133, Aug. 2019.
- P. Risbud, N. Gatsis, and A. F. Taha, “Vulnerability Analysis of Smart Grids to GPS Spoofing,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 3535–3548, July 2019.
- M. Alamaniotis and N. Gatsis, “Evolutionary Multi-Objective Cost and Privacy Driven Load Morphing in Smart Electricity Grid Partition,” Energies, vol. 12, no. 13, article number 2470 (18 pages), June 2019.
- A. F. Taha, N. Gatsis, T. H. Summers, and S. A. Nugroho, “Time-Varying Sensor and Actuator Selection for Uncertain Cyber-Physical Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 750–762, June 2019. Extended version: https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.07912
- M. Bazrafshan, N. Gatsis, A. F. Taha, and J. A. Taylor, “Coupling Load-Following Control with OPF,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 2495–2506, May 2019.
- M. Bazrafshan, N. Gatsis, and E. Dall’Anese, “Placement and Sizing of Inverter-Based Renew- able Systems in Multi-Phase Distribution Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 918–930, Mar. 2019.
- A. F. Taha, N. Gatsis, B. Dong, A. Pipri, and Z. Li, “Buildings-to-Grid Integration Framework,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 1237–1249, Mar. 2019.
- M. Bazrafshan and L. Yalamanchili, and N. Gatsis and J. Gomez, “Stochastic Planning of Distributed PV Generation” Energies, vol. 12, no. 3, article number 459 (20 pages), Jan. 2019 (invited feature paper in special issue 10 Years of Energies).
- R. Taormina, S. Galelli, N. O. Tippenhauer, E. Salomons, A. Ostfeld, D. G. Eliades, M. Aghashahi, R. Sundararajan, M. Pourahmadi, K. Banks, B. Brentan, E. Campbell, G. Lima, D. Manzi, D. Ayala-Cabrera, M. Herrera, I. Montalvo, J. Izquierdo, E. Luvizotto Jr., S. E. Chandy, A. Rasekh, Z. A. Barker, B. Campbell, E. Shafiee, M. Giacomoni, N. Gatsis, A. Taha, A. A. Abokifa, K. Haddad, C. S. Lo, P. Biswas, F. K. Pasha, B. Kc, S. L. Somasundaram, M. Housh, and Z. Ohar, “The Battle of the Attack Detection Algorithms: Disclosing Cyber Attacks on Water Distribution Networks,” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, vol. 144, no. 8, pp. 1–11, Aug. 2018.
- A. Khalajmehrabadi, Gatsis, D. Akopian, and A. F. Taha, “Real-Time Rejection and Mitigation of Time Synchronization Attacks on the Global Positioning System,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 65, no. 8, pp. 6425–6435, Aug. 2018.
- B. Dong, Z. Li, A. Taha, and N. Gatsis, “Occupancy-based Buildings-to-grid Integration Frame-work for Smart and Connected Communities,” Applied Energy, vol. 219, pp. 123–137, June 2018.
- M. Alamaniotis, N. Gatsis, and L. H. Tsoukalas, “Virtual Budget: Integration of Electricity Load and Price Anticipation for Load Morphing in Price-Directed Energy Utilization,” Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 158, pp. 284–296, May 2018.
- M. Bazrafshan and N. Gatsis, “Comprehensive Modeling of Three-Phase Distribution Systems via the Bus Admittance Matrix,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 2015– 2029, Mar. 2018.